Thursday, November 11, 2004

Was Annabel Balch pregnant?

Hi,

It's been a while since I reviewed scholarship on Summer, so this may be already a commonly understood interpretation of the novel--and if so, please feel free to disregard this. But I've just come from a fascinating class discussion of the
novel where several students had the clear impression that Annabel Balch is also pregnant--they cited her weakness, inability to dance, her need to have her clothes refitted, and suggested that the fact that Charity is literally in her shoes is also a metaphor for their shared pregnancy. This insight stunned and intrigued me. Has anyone commented on this that you may know of?

Thanks,
Kathy Pfeiffer



Kathleen Pfeiffer, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Oakland University
Rochester, MI 48309

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Edith said...

I believe I have heard this in passing but haven't seen an article laying out the evidence.

D. Campbell

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home